Sunday 24 April 2016

Derby Book Festival

Our third project was a live brief set by the Derby Book Festival we were tasked with designing 6 bookmarks that went along with the winning stories under the theme 'secrets' I absolutely loved this brief as I love reading and stories and when I grow up I want to illustrate books, so this was perfect for me.




Here are some pages from my sketchbook of me working through my ideas. Out of the 6 stories there were some that I found more challenging than others and I found that I really struggled with them. But this pushed me in my work, although I feel that I played it quite safe with my final designs. The judges from the festival came into have a look at our work and give us some great feedback on ways to improve our work, they were so lovely and helpful.


These are my finished bookmarks and I am really pleased with how they turned out. The one that i would 'do-over' would be the little finger, I found it to be the most challenging but overall I am happy I would say that I wish they were a bit more cohesive so that they work together better as a whole. I again used colouring pencils which is becoming abundantly clear is my favourite medium to use. I like how I can get the 'scribbly' textured look which I think adds another dimension to my work.
There was one winner with two runner-ups, unfortunately I was not chosen, but you can read all the stories and see the winning bookmarks here

No comments:

Post a Comment