Sunday 24 April 2016

Something a bit different

Before I started this Illustration course I was out of education for a couple of years and I needed something to fill that time. Within that time I had two knee operations to get my knees fixed and in the right place and I now actually have metal knees (I know when a cold spell is coming before the weatherman) There was a lot of sitting around with my leg in a splint unable to move apart from one sofa to another sofa. I started reading blogs and I discovered quilting blogs, I was hooked and since then quilting and sewing has become a big part of my life. I write another blog about my makes and even sell some of what I make in my Etsy shop.
Along with illustrating children's books I would also love one day to design my own fabric line (which is something I have never told anyone) to be able to sew and make quilts with my own designed fabric is a dream come true.
This summer my plan is to teach myself how to make repeat patterns and to start dabbling in creating fabrics and maybe even getting some printed on Spoonflower and creating sample items that I could send to fabric manufacturers and potentially get a contract with.


These are some of my recent makes, I love using a variety of prints and colour in my sewing, something I wish I could be braver with in my Illustration work, but I feel through the course I am becoming more confident in my work.
So although I said I hadn't really thought about what to do after University, I do have my little (not so) secret dream of having my illustrations on fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment